Local Council Elections Are You Registered to Vote?

Sunday 11 March, 2018 Written by 
Local Council Elections Are You Registered to Vote?

The 2018 United Kingdom local elections are scheduled to be held on Thursday 3 May 2018.

Thresa May is under a lot of pressure as the Tory Party could lose three flagship Boroughs according to the opinion polls. 

Have you registered to vote? 


Theresa May Standard

Image: Theresa May Courtesy of the Evening Standard.

Local elections will be held within England, with elections to all 32 London boroughs 34 metropolitan boroughs, 68 district/borough councils and 17 unitary authorities. There will also be direct elections for the Mayoralties of Hackney, Lewisham, Newham, Tower Hamlets and Watford.

To vote in an election or referendum, you must be on the electoral register.

If you are not sure if you are already registered, contact your https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/image/0007/155842/link-icon.png?v=0.2.1") right center no-repeat; padding: 0px 20px 0px 0px;">local electoral registration office.

In England, Scotland or Wales, you can register to vote online at gov.uk/register-to-vote.

In Northern Ireland, visit our https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/image/0007/155842/link-icon.png?v=0.2.1") right center no-repeat; padding: 0px 20px 0px 0px;">Register to vote in Northern Ireland page to download a registration form.

Who can register to vote?


  • In England and Wales you can register to vote if you are 17 years old (and in some cases if you are 16). However, you can only vote when you become 18. In Scotland you can register to vote if you are 15 years old (and in some cases if you are 14). You can vote in local elections and elections to the Scottish Parliament when you are 16 and elections to the UK and European Parliaments when you are 18.
  • British, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizens. This means Commonwealth citizens who have leave to remain in the UK or do not require such leave.
  • Citizens of the Republic of Ireland or other European Union (EU) member states.

How do I change my name on the electoral register?

In England, Scotland and Wales you will need to complete a change of name form and provide proof of your change of name, such as a marriage or civil partnership certificate, an amended birth certificate, or deed poll.

For further information you should contact your local electoral registration office. You can find their contact details by entering your postcode on https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/image/0007/155842/link-icon.png?v=0.2.1") right center no-repeat; padding: 0px 20px 0px 0px;">Your Vote Matters.

How do I change my address on the electoral register?

When you move you need to re-register to your new address.

If you want to register to vote in England, Scotland or Wales, you can register online any time at gov.uk/register-to-vote. To register to vote in Northern Ireland, visit the Electoral Office for Northern Ireland website.

Am I registered to vote?

If you would like to find out if you are registered you will need to contact your Electoral Registration Officer. You can find their details by entering your postcode on Your Vote Matters.

Searching the electoral register

We don't keep copies of the electoral register (also known as the electoral roll).

The electoral register is held at your local electoral registration office (or council office in England and Wales). The Northern Ireland electoral register is held by the Electoral Office for Northern Ireland. You can find contact details for your local office by entering your postcode on our Your Vote Matters website.

ABC Note: The ABC are partners of the Electorial Commission promoting regestering and voting at elections. 

Electorial Commission

1 comment

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.



ABCorgdotnet The Yorkshire-Born California Ex-Millionaire Now Living on Universal Credit In Harrogate - Association of Pensions… https://t.co/zbjBFA9LKN
ABCorgdotnet True Scale of The Universal Credit Crisis Facing The North East Is Revealed - Association of Pensions & Benefits Cl… https://t.co/qzrcKNiBcc
ABCorgdotnet More Benefits Claimants Underpaid - Association of Pensions & Benefits Claimants CIC https://t.co/EdeLhhqxcF
ABCorgdotnet The Tuck Sleep Website - Dedicated to Sending You to Sleep - Association of Pensions & Benefits Claimants CIC https://t.co/QpFBJM5mpS
ABCorgdotnet Croydon Based Entrepreneur Launches Pilot Scheme for Financial Education to Solve Debt Nationwide - Association of… https://t.co/4vCbTpovwd